malloryallain

Library of Mallory

I am a 22 year old cheerleading, cat loving, book nerd.
I make up 1/3 of the bibliophilesisters. Oh and we make videos:
www.youtube.com/user/bibliophilesisters

Book Review: Living Dead In Dallas by Charlaine Harris

Living Dead in Dallas  - Charlaine Harris

Title: Living Dead In Dallas
Author: Charlaine Harris
Published April 1st 2004 by Orbit (first published March 26th 2002)
288 pages
Second book in the Sookie Stackhouse series

Goodreads blurb:

Sookie Stackhouse likes living in Bon Temps, Louisiana, and she likes working as a cocktail waitress at Merlotte's. But she is having a streak of bad luck. First her co-worker is killed, and no one seems to care. Then she comes face-to-face with a beastly creature which gives her a painful and poisonous lashing. Enter the vampires, who graciously suck the poison from her veins (like they didn't enjoy it).

The point is: the vampires saved her life. So when one of her bloodsuckers asks for a favour, she obliges-and soon Sookie's in Dallas, using her telepathic skills to search for a missing vampire. She's supposed to interview certain humans involved, but she makes one condition: the vampires must promise to behave, and let the humans go unharmed. But that's easier than done, and all it takes is one delicious blonde and one small mistake for things to turn deadly...

So I think by now, most of you know what this series is about. If you haven't read the series, I'm sure you have seen the tv show.

For those of you who do not know, this series is a typical paranormal romance: vampires and sex. There is no depth to these books, they are just light, fun, easy, corny and kind of cheesy reads. They are super quick to get through and are nice to have in between heavier reads. I have watched three seasons of the tv show, so I went into this one somewhat expecting to know what happened. But no, this was not the case. And this might be one of the only times where I will say this; the tv show is much better than the books. There are most twists and turns in the show, whereas the books are a little dull.

Okay, so let's move on to discussing the plot. Let's just say, it felt like I was reading a story inside of a story. In the beginning the plot is based on the murder of Lafayette. He was found outside of Merlotte's bar inside of sheriff Andy Bellefleur's car. So Sookie decides that she is going to listen in on people and try to solve the mystery of Lafayette's death. Then all of a sudden, the story takes a weird turn and is completely put off track from the main subject of the murder. It is not until the last few chapters that we return to trying to solve the mystery of the murder. I feel like the plot jumped around a lot and was focused on too many different things. The beginning of the story was so strong, the death was intriguing and I couldn't wait to see if I could figure out who the killer was. But no, instead the story took a turn and ended up utterly boring. And we are not going to even get in to discussing the cough*orgy*cough.

And can we talk about Sookie now? Number one, why on earth can't you pick Eric instead of Bill? Bill is a jealous, needy and greedy man and he annoys me to no end. I could rant about that all day, so I won't bore you with that. Does it bug anyone else how Sookie is ALWAYS right? At one point, she is standing in a room with a bunch of vampires and they had just figured out that the room had been bugged. So what does Sookie do? Gets down on her knees, crawls under the table and finds the listening device. All of this happens within a few sentences. It just seems that she has a solution every time the vampires are needing something. The whole book just seems so illogical, but I guess that's what you should expect going into a book like this.

Overall it was an enjoyable read, I just had some major issues with it. It's not going to stop me from continuing the series, but I won't be rushing to continue on with it.

Have you read this series? What do you think of it? Let me know.