malloryallain

Library of Mallory

I am a 22 year old cheerleading, cat loving, book nerd.
I make up 1/3 of the bibliophilesisters. Oh and we make videos:
www.youtube.com/user/bibliophilesisters

Book Review: The Shining by Stephen KIng

Title: The Shining
Author: Stephen King
Published in 1977 by Hodder & Stoughton
512 pages (paperback)

So I'm sure most of you will know what this story is about, but if not, here is the goodreads synopsis:
Danny was only five years old but in the words of old Mr Halloran he was a 'shiner', aglow with psychic voltage. When his father became caretaker of the Overlook Hotel his visions grew frighteningly out of control.

As winter closed in and blizzards cut them off, the hotel seemed to develop a life of its own. It was meant to be empty, but who was the lady in Room 217, and who were the masked guests going up and down in the elevator? And why did the hedges shaped like animals seem so alive?

Somewhere, somehow there was an evil force in the hotel - and that too had begun to shine...

Okay, so let me start out by saying Stephen King really knows what he is doing with his narration. The story is told in third person, yet he really lets you get inside of each characters head to see what they are thinking and how they are feeling. You really get to know each character this way and you can slowly see character development throughout the book.

The story progressed so nicely and at a great pace. It is so very different from the movie (which I had watched before reading the book). It was not as scary as I thought it would be, but if I had read it when I was younger I'm sure I would have thought differently.

I will definitely be trying out more of Stephen King's novels to see how his writing progressed, and I cannot wait to read Doctor Sleep (which is the sequel to The Shining and was just released this year) to find out what happens to little Danny.

I gave this book a 4.5/5 stars.

Have you read any Stephen King? If so, which books do you think I should check out next?